Saturday, October 23, 2010

Stars Who Scare Me! A Halloween Tribute

I love the stars, I really  do, but there are those few who have always scared me. There is something about them that starts the negative vibes vibrating. This is not a comment on their dramatic skills or their star status. I realize that they have many fans and I do not disparage them. But, for some crazy reason or other, they scare the bejeezus out of me!

Working my way through the decades, here are the scary seven:

Max Schrek

I realize that this is make-up and F.W. Murnau's vision of a vampire, but this guy has haunted my dreams from the minute I saw him. The only difference between him and those that follow on my list: he means to scare me!









Lillian Gish
She is awfully pretty and can act up a storm, but she seems so disapproving. Lillian comes across as self-righteous and those are the scariest people of all. A little chill goes down my spine when I see her.


Plus, she makes me nervous.
Marlene Dietrich
Now I know people just adore her, but she scares me! Maybe it's the cheekbones, but she seems really mean.

Wallace Beery
I am not buying that sloppy, sentimental stuff he puts across. This in one plain mean guy and he scares me! Bad vibes all around.

Joan Crawford
I know, I know... such an obvious choice. I am truly learning to love her through the 30s, but what the hell happened in the late 40s? Too much freaky makeup and way too intense. Sorry.
I really do feel badly about this one and promise to try and overcome this.

Joseph Cotten:
Again, no good reason except that I saw him in "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte" as a kid and still can't get the image of him crawling up the stairs from the grave. He is in several of my favorite movies ("Gaslight", "Shadow of a Doubt" and "The Third Man"), but he still gives me the shivers. Maybe I'm seasick from those waves in his hair...
George C. Scott
Okay -  this guy really scares me. I know he's a great actor, but every time I see him I feel like I am getting yelled at. Enough, already.

And here's one star who never scares me!
Happy Halloween from Clara Bow & FlickChick!





5 comments:

Edna's Place said...

I find Anthony Perkins on this list, for me. (I know 'Psycho' is on list of great films, but I never could watch all of it, just so creepy. But movies with that theme, along with serious 'devil theme' films, just not my 'cup of tea'.)

FlickChick said...

Hitchcock certainly got the casting right for that movie! Anthony Perkins was the essence of "creepy."

John Boles Gal #1 said...

I agree! Max Schrek all the way!

SwitchHazel said...

I know what you mean about Lillian Gish. She looks like she has huge chip on those slight shoulders.

FlickChick said...

I'm so glad someone else finds her scary!