Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Elizabeth Taylor: American Beauty

Oh, La Liz, we will surely miss you and are sure that we will never , ever see another like you! You lived large, loved large, laughed large and suffered large. We loved you for it and will miss you endlessly. You were a diamond-studded diva with a heart of pure gold, precious in every way.


Besides being beautiful, she knew how to turn a phrase. Here is Elizabeth in her own words:

Big girls need big diamonds.
 
Marriage is a great institution.
 
When people say, 'She's got everything', I've got one answer - I haven't had tomorrow.
 
I adore wearing gems, but not because they are mine. You can't possess radiance, you can only admire it.

I am a very committed wife. And I should be committed too - for being married so many times.

I don't pretend to be an ordinary housewife.

I feel very adventurous. There are so many doors to be opened, and I'm not afraid to look behind them.

I fell off my pink cloud with a thud.

I have a woman's body and a child's emotions.

I haven't read any of the autobiographies about me.

I really don't remember much about Cleopatra. There were a lot of other things going on.

I suppose when they reach a certain age some men are afraid to grow up. It seems the older the men get, the younger their new wives get.

I sweat real sweat and I shake real shakes.

I think I'm finally growing up - and about time.

I'm a survivor - a living example of what people can go through and survive.

I've always admitted that I'm ruled by my passions.

I've been through it all, baby, I'm mother courage.

I've only slept with men I've been married to. How many women can make that claim?

If someone's dumb enough to offer me a million dollars to make a picture, I'm certainly not dumb enough to turn it down.

It is strange that the years teach us patience; that the shorter our time, the greater our capacity for waiting.

My mother says I didn't open my eyes for eight days after I was born, but when I did, the first thing I saw was an engagement ring. I was hooked.

People who know me well, call me Elizabeth. I dislike Liz.

Some of my best leading men have been dogs and horses.

Success is a great deodorant.

The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.

You find out who your real friends are when you're involved in a scandal.


Rest in Peace, my beauty. Now if I could only know whose arms you run to first: Mike Todd’s or Richard Burton’s? Sigh….. I’ll bet there is a battle in Heaven raging right now for your charms!

Elizabeth through the ages:


I was very fortunate to see Elizabeth Taylor on Broadway in 1981 in "The Little Foxes." I can tell you that, not only was she beautiful beyond belief, she sparkled on that stage brighter than that 69-carat diamond from Richard Burton! She was by far the the brightest gem in her collection. 

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so happy to read your post on Elizabeth Taylor. I just loved her and loved what you wrote. You always make your stars come alive for me. Thank you so much.

FlickChick said...

Thank you so much - she was a great star and she will be missed.

Pre-Code Vixen said...

What a great tribute to Miss Taylor. She was truly one of a kind.

FlickChick said...

Thanks, Nicole - she sure was! She always gave us LOTS to talk about!

Mary Anne Landers said...

Thank you for your tribute to Elizabeth Taylor. For those of us who love classic films and their stars, today is a sad day.

Elizabeth Taylor was the ultimate Hollywood star of her era, a larger-tha­n-life and one-of-a kind personalit­y. Her private life, which the relentless media made public, was the stuff of legends. Her beauty, her passion, her spirit, and her unforgettable performanc­es in so many classic films will long outlive her.

Rest in peace, Elizabeth Taylor. Your many fans will remember you.

FlickChick said...

Mary Anne, that was a lovely and moving tribute to Elizabeth. The outpouring of love today is amazing.

marynarkiewicz said...

A beautiful memorial to Elizabeth Taylor. Love reading her words and thoughts. Great choice in photographs. Thanks for giving us a place to say goodbye to her and to remember her.

Bridget said...

Thank you for the lovely tribute! She was truly in a league of her own.

ClassicBecky said...

All of our blogs are hot today about this wonderful star -- what a loss. Yours is so good, and my favorite part is the fabulous quotations from her. There are so many good ones, but the one that stuck out for me was "I sweat real sweat and I shake real shakes." You forget that even a gorgeous woman is just a human being.

The Lady Eve said...

What a lovely tribute...and such gorgeous photos of a woman who had more talent and beauty than most of us can imagine...though we can dream...

Coreytess said...

Hi, I have you on my "blogs i read and i follow you" would appreciate your returning the favor.. check my blog out at http://style-magnet.blogspot.com/

Great Post, I love Elizabeth Taylor!

FlickChick said...

Thanks to all - no matter what we say, we couldn't do justice to Elizabeth. She was one of a kind.

Jan Miner said...

Great post, friend! Love the quotes and the photos you chose are exquisite!

FlickChick said...

Thanks, Jan. Actually, she provided most of the words and all of the inspiration.

Dawn said...

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful actress. Loved her in the film Mogambo.

FlickChick said...

Thank you, Dawn. "Mogambo" starred another dark beauty, Ava Gardner. Maybe you were thinking of "Elephant Walk"? All of that beauty can be mind-boggling!

Dawn said...

Ohmygosh you are right.. it is "Elephant Walk". I must have had one of those "senior blond moments"

FlickChick said...

Dawn, ET was so beautiful in "Elephant Walk," I can see how she could make you light-headed! :D