Saturday, December 1, 2018

TCM NYC Tour: Hollywood Ain't Got Nuthin' on the Big Apple

Okay, we all know Hollywood is king when it comes to classic films, but New York City's not too shabby. As proof, TCM offers a swell tour of the city I love best (but TCM - if you're listening - how about a Paris TCM tour? I'll be the first to sign on!). 

This was my second time on the tour, the first being in 2013. But I had that funny sense of deja vu when I stepped on the bus. Turns out we had the same tour guide as we had in 2013. For the record, Jason was fantastic in 2013 and was even more fantastic (if that's possible) in 2018.

Our charming tour guide, Jason
It was a nasty, gloomy NYC day for our tour. Yes, we know we can't compete with Hollywood when it comes to the sunshine. But, once we all met at the Stardust Diner and climbed aboard our comfortable bus, we were treated to some of Manhattan's great contributions to the silver screen. 


I can never get enough of film history, but I confess I had Cary Grant on the brain that day. Why should tour day be different than any other day?

While not a stop on the tour we did pass the Winter Garden Theater. Didn't Cary have tickets for a show there in "North by Northwest"?


Just to complete the Cary Grant tour, we passed the Plaza Hotel (the oak Bar was where Cary's Hitchcock nightmare started), Grand Central Station (where Cary made his escape with Eva Marie Saint) and the Empire State Building (where Cary waited to meet Deborah Kerr in "An Affair to Remember"). Yeah, yeah, I know there was movie about a big ape that took place there, too.
Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr at the place nearest to heaven

The Plaza Hotel: things happen there
Cary at the Oak Bar. Hang in there, I'm on my way!


As if he could be lost in a crowd at Grand Central

Okay, enough about Cary (she reluctantly wrote). 2 of my other favorite NYC movie fellas were also featured on this tour: Mel Brook and Woody Allen.

Yes, Cher made a famous stroll to the Metropolitan Opera House in "Moonstruck," but Lincoln Center will always mean Max and Leo to me.


As for Woody Allen, well this (along with a dose of Gershwin) IS Manhattan:



Yes, Zabars is as awesome now

as it was then
Some other stops: The Dakota, home of Rosemary and her baby, and the Ansonia, home of those Sunshine Boys. Speaking of both buildings, I never stop being amazed at the beauty of the architecture of these and many other NYC buildings. They are truly beautiful and breathtaking creations.
the Dakota
Creepy Dakota residents
The beautiful and storied Ansonia (check out its history)
Richard Benjamin and Walter Matthau stroll
past the Ansonia in "The Sunshine Boys"

Once in a while, we do have to mourn what is lost. The charming little shop that was The Shop Around The Corner in "You've Got Mail", once an antique shop, is now a dry cleaners, Oy.


And just to brag, yours truly won the trivia contest on the bus. I was so proud. I'll treasure my tote bag.

So, if you're ever in NYC and you want the TCM treatment as only On Location Tours can do it, take the tour. Interested? Check out tour information here. Maybe you, too, can win a TCM tote bag!







10 comments:

maxmom15 said...

Thank you for sharing your tour experience with us! Linda Thacker

FlickChick said...

Thank you so much for the comment, Linda. I wish you could have joined us!

Silver Screenings said...

Awesome post! I feel like I was there on the tour with you. If I'm ever back in New York, this tour will be the first thing on my list.

Wouldn't a TCM Paris tour be fabulous? I get goosebumps, just thinking about it.

FlickChick said...

Thank you, Ruth. I would love that Paris tour. Maybe someday..... ooh la la!

said...

When I go to NY, I have this to take this tour - sounds amazing!
And, well, I think of the Empire State first as the meeting point for Cary and Deborah and then as the place the ape hanged on...
Kisses!

Christian Esquevin said...

Thanks for the tour FlickChick. While I've been to NYC several times, I've never taken the TCM Tour. I think your Paris tour is a great idea. In the meantime - they do have some great tour bus tours of Paris, including some by night that are fabulous. The "Bateaux Mouches" boat tours are lots of fun too, again the night tours are great.

maxmom15 said...

Thank you for sharing your NYC TCM tour. Your writing is good that I can visualize every thing you describe, even Cary Grant! I hope to be able to take the tour one day.

FlickChick said...

Le - as all things TCM, it's super fun!

FlickChick said...

Thanks for stopping by, Christian. I have taken a ride of the fabulous bateau mouche and, naturally, I felt just like Audrey Hepburn being romanced by Cary Grant in "Charade"!

FlickChick said...

Thanks you again, Linda. I kind of always see Cary wherever I go... :)