Monday, February 26, 2018

JAMES CAGNEY THERAPY IN TIMES OF TURMOIL

This is my entry in Cinemaven's Essay's From the Couch Free For All  Blogathon. Hurry over to Theresa's site and dive into this awesome smorgasbord of film fan mania!

Turmoil? Bring it on!
Turmoil. It's all around us. It's all inside us. You got your personal turmoil and you got your social turmoil. How to get through the day when the news from the TV is driving you nuts? How to get through the night when your friends make you wish you had new friends?
therapy-schmerapy
Therapy? I've tried it all - your meditation, your yoga, your chamomile tea and your trips to the gym. They're not bad, but I've learned that there is one person who can always set me on the right path. That would be none other than the great Mr. James Cagney himself.

Jimmy has helped me get through so many tough times and I would love to share a few of his ways of wisdom with you.

1. Don't sweat the small stuff.

  


Really. This is good advice. Of course, differentiating the small stuff from the big stuff can be tricky, but once you determine it's small stuff, just blow it off like Jimmy.

2. Be thoughtful.


Pondering a situation before acting is well worth the time; thinking before you speak even better.


3.  Once you've thought it through, act decisively. 


Sometimes, you just have to make a point (even if it is metaphorically).


4. Dance like no one is watching.



Good advice always, especially if you can do it with grace.

5. Don't be afraid to lift the veil.


Everything is not always what it seems. Boldly lift the veil and look for truth.

6. Enjoy your pleasures in moderation.


Excess leads to misery. Enough said.

7. Don't be afraid to show your emotions


You'll feel so much better after a good cry.

However, remember that earlier comment about moderation......


Self control can go a long way.....

8. Don't be afraid to show your darling you love him/her.

We all need to know we are loved.

9. Have fun with friends.


Friends sustain us and know us best. And, if you get a chance to have fun with Ann Dvorak, take it!

10. Learn new things.


It keeps your brain in good working order and it's good for the spirit.

11. No one will ever love you like your mother.


True.

12. Laughter is the best medicine.


It really is, isn't it?

So thank you, Mr. Cagney. Somehow, you always manage to get me though my darkest hours. Even when you're one of the bad guys, you're always one of the good guys - full of the joy of living.

Don't forget to get over to Cinemaven's Essays From the Couch for more wonderful, eclectic and wondrous love letters to movies!





10 comments:

Caftan Woman said...

The best thing ever!

How you came up with those clever gifs to match your clear-headed thoughts and advice should come as no surprise. It is just the sort of clever thing you are noted for.

PS: I once remarked to a psychologist that my cure for problems was a nice hot pot of tea and a Cagney movie. He asked me not to tell anyone because it would put him out of business.

FlickChick said...

CW - LOL - I knew you were a kindred spirit. As for clever GIFs - thanks to Google!

CineMaven said...

Hey there Flick Chick. You just saved ME hundreds of dollars in bar bills. ( WHO can afford a therapist??!! ) These are so cleverly done...and when Cagney speaks EVERYone listens. Thank you for contributing to my 'FREE FOR ALL."

The turmoil is deep!!! We certainly can use a bit of Cagney now. ( Is it November 6th yet?!! ) Thank you again!!!

FlickChick said...

Amen, Theresa! Thanks for hosting!

Silver Screenings said...

I love, LOVE this! It's witty and clever and, ultimately, very good advice.

FlickChick said...

Thank you, Ruth. You can always count on Jimmy - no stress, no strain.

said...

Wonderful lessons from my favorite actor. I especially liked the "dance like nobody is watching". And, well, if all these tips fail, smash a grapefruit in someone's face... LOL
Thanks for the kind comment!
Kisses!

Michaela said...

What wonderful, adorable gifs! I've been going through a very stressful time lately and your post was just lovely to read. I think I may need to spend some time with Mr. Cagney myself!

FlickChick said...

Le - I tried to find something positive about the grapefruit in the face smash, but it so far has eluded me!

FlickChick said...

Thank you, Michaela. I sure hope Mr. Cagney helped - he is a helpful sort of guy, isn't he?